A comedy act is a type of entertainment that is meant to make people laugh. It is not just entertaining, it is also humorous.
Comedy is made up of many genres. These are some of the most common:
- Slapstick – examples of this are The Three Stooges, and Mr. Bean
- Stand-up – a comedy actor usually performs this in front of a live audience
- Black Comedy – the goal of this type of comedy is to make fun of serious subject matters like religion and death
- Romantic Comedy – comedy combined with love and romance
How to be a success on stage doing comedy
1. Choose the right material for the right crowd
To be successful at anything, do your research and prepare. You need to tailor fit your material to the type of crowd you’ll be performing for. You can either come up with your own jokes or you can copy if you are just starting out.
2. Prepare a lot of materials
Your first or second joke might not work out. You have to still try to make people laugh by using other materials which could work. Keep on trying to find that joke that will crack them up.
3. Test the joke on someone you know
It is safe to first try saying the joke of a friend. If he finds it funny, then proceed to the next step.
4. Try your joke on paying customers
After you’ve proven to yourself that the material you tried on your friend is funny, you can try it out on a group of people you may or may not know. If you’re courageous, you can tell your joke to paying customers.
5. Prepare how to deal with hecklers
One day, sooner or later you will have to deal with this type people in the audience. Some people just want to butt in the middle of your act. They either want to have the attention on them or to make you look stupid. Don’t worry, even the best and most talented comedians have to deal with them. So, how do you control the situation when someone tries to ruin your show? Learn from the experts. Study how the great comedians dealt with it.
6. Mine the joke for other jokes
While performing, know the kind of jokes that they respond to. You can follow it up with a similar joke. Engage them with your performance.
7. Enjoy and have fun with what you do
It’s important to have fun while performing. If you find your own joke funny, the audience will most likely find it funny too. Just relax, and enjoy your own show!